Sitting at my computer one lazy afternoon I began trawling through the endless list of make up tutorials that appear online, as I usually did, the usual smoky eye tutorial or product review appeared. Nothing new there to say the least, until I found a new face that I’d never seen before.
Cherry dollface had a fabulous list of vintage hair and makeup tutorials, I sat and watched as many as I could before reaching for my make up kit and getting stuck in.
The videos were easy to understand, not boring, colourful, girly, different and even better the pin up in front of me was like myself, covered in tattoos, something you didn’t generally see at the time.
From then on I was hooked recreating as many looks as possible. Ive followed Cherry Dollface’s career ever since. In my opinion she is such an inspiration, and an excellent role model for girls of today, she is elegant, classy, and more importantly she is who she wants to be.
So after one small email and a quick response from the lady herself I sent over a few questions and eagerly awaited her reply. Hope you enjoy this Q&A with Cherry Dollface follow her videos yourself HERE and hopefully you will become a big fan as I did myself.
1. For those who don’t already know, who are you? Profession, age, place of birth etc.
I started as a pinup model, but not I travel the world teaching vintage hair and makeup classes and organizing pinup photoshoots.
2. What first attracted you to the world of pin ups, modelling and make up tutorials?
I just liked how classic and timeless it all was. I was a little punk rocker so I thought the mix of styles was really cool. I started modeling by accident when photo was snapped at a car show and it ended up on the cover of a magazine. And I started making tutorials because people were always asking me how I did my styles!
3. Who is your biggest inspiration?
I am always inspired by the funny girls. The Lucille Balls and Carole Landis’ of the world.
4. You have a large collection of tattoos, which would you regards your favourite piece?
Probably my back piece. It is the largest and most detailed.
5. You obviously travel a lot with your work, is it hard to be away from your husband and family?
Of course! I am very independent so a little bit of space is always nice, but it does get hard when we spend months apart.
6. Where is your favourite place to be?
Italy or Scotland.
7. Did your Hero’s growing up still influence you now?
I am not sure I ever really had heroes growing up! I also ways looked to the strong women in my family as heroes. And yes, I still look up to them!
8. What advice would you give to any aspiring models or make up artists?
Look at it as a hobby and enjoy what you are doing! Very few people make money as makeup artists and no one is making a living off of being a pinup model, so just keep your expectations realistic. It is a super fun hobby though, so if you want to do it, than do it!
9. Did you have any official training in hair and make up or is it all self taught?
10. What beauty products can you literally not live without?
Estee Lauder double wear foundation, Laura Mercier translucent powder, Schwing! Eyeliner by The Balm, and Bing lipstick by Smashbox.
11. For anyone just starting up, what would you recommend as a good staple piece for any vintage inspired or rockabilly outfit?
I have a whole video on top 10 rockabilly wardrobe essentials! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKbnl959dVA
12. What are your aspirations for the future?
World domination! haha. I really have no idea. I just want to keep reaching babes all over the world and keep being happy doing what I am doing!
13. What’s to look forward to in 2017 for Cherry Doll Face?
More touring. Australia and New Zealand later this year. I am releasing a book at the endow the year too!
14. As a role model, what do you think is important, for coming across as someone to aspire to?
Just being true to myself. What I say and do isn’t always right, but the intentions are always there. I am never trying to be something I am not.
15. What’s your greatest strength and weakness?
Strength is my greatest strength! Hahah Seriously… I am pretty tough. And my weakness is over extending myself. Sometimes I push myself to exhaustion trying to be everything to everyone.
16. What picks you up if your down?
My husband, chocolate, working out.
17. If you could be stuck in a lift with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
I dont think I would want to be stuck in a list with anyone dead. I can imagine it would smell quite bad. I think I would probably pick my mom because I really miss her!
18. What’s your greatest achievement?
Being in my own at the age of 15 and getting into college and getting a degree.
19. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Bad reality TV and desserts!
20. What was the best phase in your life?
I think I am in it right now!
21. Who is that one person you can tell anything to?
My mom, my husband and my best friend. I guess I have 3!
22. What is your ideal weekend?
Relaxing!! Maybe going for a walk, eating a late breakfast, being lazy and cuddling with my husband.
23. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done and would you do it again?
Booking a job for L’Oreal when I was in Italy on vacation and flying from Italy to New York and back again in 2 days. And yes!! I would definitely do it again.
24. Do you have any regrets in life?
Nope. No use regretting things you cant change.
25. If you could have one wish in life what would it be
To live a long and happy life surrounded by people that love me